Sunday, October 28, 2007

There is Fungus Among Us!

I don't mean to gross any of y'all out, but I'm having a battle fighting a certain fungus that seems to be attracted to my skin. The dear ol' docs all say it's due to my RA keeping my immune system down, and on top of that, one of the meds I take can also cause this fungus to manifest itself! My body doesn't have what it takes to kill/fight this particular fungus. I've been on 2 types of creams and antibiotics. After I finish a round of antibiotics, the rash appears again within 2-3 days; and with a vengeance! I just went through a flare up and the stuff has spread down my right arm and is on the under side of my left arm. Before, the rash stayed on the trunk of my body and bu*to*ks. *Yes, I did just use the word bu*to*ks in a post but alternated the star for some of the letters, hoping to prevent some creep from looking up my blog when they google that word!* Anyhoose, I'm embarrassed to go out in public. I'm trying to find clothing that will cover the ugliness on my right arm. Long sleeves aren't real popular here in Florida yet, as our temps are still in the 80's! Since I've previously only had the rash on the other body parts mentioned, I've never really had to worry about grossing the public out, because I usually make sure those parts are covered before venturing out of the house; but now with it on my arm screaming for attention-well, I'm just a tad self-conscious. It has been very red, inflamed, and ITCHY! Oh yeah, it's also contagious! I was instructed to keep my dirty clothes in a separate basket than hubby's and then wash them separately as well. I'm also washing my bath towel and washcloths separately as well. It's kind of a pain, but worth keeping my son and hubby from suffering with this itchy, burning stuff.

IT also seems to be taking a toll on my energy level. I've been feeling more fatigued than I have in months. Since I'm not having much luck with meds, I'm on my way now to search the internet for some natural herb/salves/cures for this. I should have done that to begin with. I've seen herbs and natural treatments do miracles both in myself and in the lives of family and friends. After my search, I'm off for a soothing bath in baking soda!

23 comments:

Rita Loca said...

Well, I don't know if it will work but we used kerosene and white gas(unleaded) for fungus in the jungle.

Unknown said...

Hey sis, welcome to blogworld! I've been missing you greatly.

About the kerosene and white gas, I think I remember you telling my that while we were at the beach house this summer. Thanks for the reminder!

Jackie said...

I'm awfully sorry to hear about that, sounds like the time my arm pits had the allergic reaction to deoderant. Talk about embarrasing! I laughed most of the time I was reading this...b*t*o*ks...lol...and how you 'usually make sure those parts are covered..." USUALLY?????? :-)

Ashley said...

Oh my goodness...you poor thing! I'll definitely keep you in prayer I had no idea! O_o

That must be horrible...reminds me of when I had an allergic reaction to some antibiotics...OOOOH was I itchy all OVER!! URG!

Pen of Jen said...

Oh Pam, I am so sorry. There are so many side effects to meds. This doesn't sound like something fun to deal with.

I am a huge herb person, and of course lots of natural treatments and maintaining things through the foods.

Maybe something that you are eating is exasperating the condition..rule out the prime ones dairy(yogurt..cheeses...)

maybe you can meet with someone about herbs and the such. In my studies, the ones that are *out* there in the limelight are not as comforting to meet. But lots and lots of people want to be in control of their health and the meds that go in us...you will find someone...usually a midwife can either direct you or is one with the knowledge.
Jen

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Oh Pam...sorry to hear about your "fungus". Hope you can get rid of it soon and the rest of your family doesn't get it.

Rita Loca said...

Pam, I forgot to tell you, we did meet Hondo!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sooooo sorry your "menacing problem" ....funny how medications work!! I am always amazed at the side effects on the commercials ...they seem worse than the symptons!!! Even death on some.....WOW!!!

WIll pray that you will be better soon---and, yes, it is too hot for long sleeves here!

Paula said...

Poor you, Pam! :(

This sounds just like a friend of mine at church. She had the rash break out on her hands, and now she can't take her RA meds because of the antibiotic she is on.

Praying you will heal quickly. :)

Blessings,
Mrs. C

Webutante said...

Pam, am running out the door, but my first thought is a solution of 1/2 water and 1/2 hydrogen peroxide (again) and remember to cut down as much as possible eating all things sweet, including fruits and fruit juices, because they feed the fungus.....more thoughts if I have em.....good luck.

Theresa's Notes said...

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this problem.

I'll be praying for you.

Lyndy said...

Pam,

My mom is on A Lot of meds for her arthritis as well and about two years ago she when through this. I don’t know that they ever figured out exactly which drug was causing it but I know it was a horrible time for her. Fortunately, hers was not contagious that we know of. The doctor gave her steroid shots and many different creams and gels to try and get rid of the problem. She finally started taking a probotic and that seemed to help clear things up where nothing else had worked. I know how uncomfortable this can be as she had it off and on for six months before it cleared up completely.

Praying you get some relief.

Love and Hugs, Lyndy

Anonymous said...

OMG I am so sorry to hear this. Noah had a bad and I do mean BAD fungus for a few months after he was born. Will Nystatin not help this? You know the prescription stuff you would normally put "down there"? It did the trick for my Noah instantly!

Praying for you!

Kristi said...

Pam, you poor thing. I'm going to add you to our prayer list and also mention you in prayer this week during our prayer conference. I do hope you're able to get it to clear up soon.

I'm all for home remedies....the kerosene and white gas might just work.

~Kristi

Sis. Julie said...

I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well. My husband hasn't been doing too well lately with his fibromyalgia. It has been giving him fits so to speak. You are in my prayers!!

TO BECOME said...

Pam, I hope you find an answer to your problem. I do think people who have RA have skin condictions more than others. My Grandson has one that they use a tar salve to help clear up when he get it. Maybe what Jungle Mom suggested would work. I think I will remember that one.connie from Texas

groovyoldlady said...

Three words: Tea Tree Oil.

It doesn't smell great, but it is anti-fungal.

groovyoldlady said...

Oregano oil too...and it smells better. It's anti fungal.

Justabeachkat said...

Sorry you're having this problem. It sounds frustrating. I hate anything that itches...drives me crazy. Hope you find a solution fast!

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

(( you )) and \o/ prayer <><

...and don't try jungle mom's therapy. nope. wouldn't be prudent. ;o)

Lori said...

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I hope that you are doing better now.

I'm just catching up on your blog.
I've missed ya and haven't been able to comment and blog as much.
I do have a new slideshow up now.
Come check it out when you can.

Rebecca said...

I laughed so hard at your reasoning for spelling the back of your front that way. I love it.

Mizz E said...

Pam, I know it's now Nov. 6 and I'm late to this distress signal, but in case you're still being plagued, I suggest an old country doctor cure that worked for me when both arms and legs were covered in an intensely itchy rash.

Doc's recipe:
No more soap - it irritates the skin.
Run a warm tub to which you've added
one cup of whole milk and 3 Tablespoons of olive oil. Soak in this healing balm until your finger tips begin to wrinkle. Then pat yourself dry. You can bath as often as you like.