Friday, April 06, 2007

Update on my Dad

Due to a difficult and long day at the hospital yesterday, I chose not to go to Busch Gardens today with the guys. It all worked out for the best! It's Spring Break here and evidently lots of others places as well. The lines to simply buy passes were SO long, and the people were crawling around like ants. Josh's friend Shawn pulled a muscle at work Thursday, so he didn't go to the park. Why spend all that money to get in if you can't ride? The other two guys who were supposed to go were exhausted from all day in the hospital Thursday with us. So my guys, upon seeing how crowded the park was going to be, simply turned around and went to Olive Garden for a nice lunch al fresco. Uncle John did join them there. After lunch, Agustin, Josh, and Shane came home with some rented movies and just hung out all afternoon. Tonight Josh is with friends having an X BOX competition. All day Josh recieved phone calles and text messages wishing him a great birthday. He was quite pleased. Oh and Wednesday night, he recieved a home made peanut butter pie from a dear friend. He was on cloud nine after that. I don't think he needed anything else to make his 20th birthday happy! *smiles and winks*

Now moving onto Dad! He is stable and therefore was moved onto the regular floor this afternoon, so he is no longer in Cardiac Intensive Care. He is off the nitro drip and blood thinner IV as well. The room he is in will afford him to get much needed rest as he gears up for his surgery. The room is large with a full couch and recliner in it. As a matter of fact, they brought my mom pillows and blankets and she is staying there tonight. Dad got up for awhile and sat in the recliner. The best thing that happened to him to day is that my mom brought in his glasses and Bible!

The surgeon came in this afternoon and told him the by pass surgery will take place at 12:00 noon Monday. The two arteries which need to be replaced are from the original five which were replaced in 1999. The veins they used have just worn out. We had hoped that first by pass would have lasted longer than 8 years. At least this by pass surgery is being entered upon in a calm, informed manner. The one in '99 was an emergency surgery in the middle of the night!

Your kind comments are so warming to me and to my dad as well. I have been printing them out and taking them to the hospital to read to him. He and my mom were struck at how strangers from all over the world are lifting him up in prayer. Thank you all once again.

11 comments:

Rancher said...

This is a wonderful Easter gift. While I guess we aren’t out of the woods yet I feel very hopeful as he seems to be getting the best of care, and it also seems you all are insureing that this is so. How important are families?

Lyndy said...

My goodness Pam, I haven’t been online in a few days, so I am just seeing this prayer request. Please know your sweet dad and all of you will be in my prayers. I know how stressful hospital stays can be and you will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Big Hugs, Lyndy

Rita Loca said...

Pam, check out my blog. You have been tagged,

Pen of Jen said...

I am so happy to read that his joy was receiving his Bible and glasses. The neatest thing in times of illness and stress is to seek comfort in God's word. I am so glad that he is up to reading the word.
Thanks for the update. Your New Mexico blogger family will continue praying for God's will to be done.
Hey thanks for the B-day post I did one for my cutie, so feel free to check out how your good idea has spread:)

Sis. Julie said...

I found out about your dad's surgery over at Lyndy's site. I am making my way down my list of blogs to catch up and saw it on her's first. I will add your dad to our Saturday prayer list as well and also on Sunday. Please keep us updated on things with him. Love you Sis!!

Anonymous said...

Glad your dad can rest!!'

Do you need me at the hospital on Monday?--I am there if you do---I would love to !!

I know the hugs and winks thing---it has been evident for many months!! WINK WINK

Sometimes, chillin is good when life is stressed to the max!!

Love, hugs and prayers are with you!!

Tina said...

I am praying for your Dad's surgery on Monday!

Anonymous said...

Pam, please send me Uncle Jack's snail mail address (yours too) so I can get a card out to him. If you don't mind and have the time, I'd love a phone number where I can contact you for updates. Praise God he was able to get out of bed AND able, once again, to read his Bible...please thank Aunt Loretta for that. I continue to pray for all of you. Love to all of you!

Ashley said...

What ya winking for?! That must be some VERY DEAR friend to make him a peanut butter pie! OH MAN I wish I HAD a friend like that!! (*SNICKER* I AM SOOOO KIDDING!! BAHAHAHA! :P)


I will keep on praying for Pastor Riffe, he has constantly been on my heart this week! And my prayers are with you as well!

Mishel said...

So thankful to hear your dad was moved to a room where he can get rest before his surgery--and that is wonderful that your mom can be with him. I'm continuing to pray!

And even though your guys didn't get to go to BG, it sounds like your son had a great birthday. : )

Kristi said...

I'm glad your dad will be able to have his surgery Monday. I'll be praying for him, especially at noon on Monday. Keep us updated on him, OK? I'll be praying for your family too. God will be with you all.

~Kristi