Monday, June 23, 2008

The Best Way to Pray

A priest, a minister and a guru sat discussing the best positions for prayer, while a telephone repairman worked nearby. "Kneeling is definitely the best way to pray," the priest said. "No," said the minister. "I get the best results standing with my hands outstretched to Heaven." "You're both wrong," the guru said. "The most effective prayer position is lying down on the floor. The repairman could contain himself no longer. "Hey, fellas," he interrupted. "The best prayin' I ever did was when I was hangin' upside down from a telephone pole."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought you would enjoy that! We know it isn't the position of our body that is important during prayer, but the "position" of our heart before God.

Now on a more serious note. Before publishing an email I received from a dear missionary friend serving in Guatemala, I asked for his permission. I didn't want to go public about his trip to Cuba if he thought it might jeapordize his ministry. Here is his response to that question.

Pam,
I try to not be too specific nor negative regarding my trips to the Island. I think that if you give general information and ask for prayer there wouldn't be any problem.Thanks for giving us more prayer coverage!
Bob
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Below is the original email I received from Bob.

June 20, 2008
Dear Partner in Ministry,

Two nights ago, around midnight, Manolo Padilla (my spiritual son, soul buddy and colleague in ministry of 28 years) had a severe heart attack. He is presently receiving care at the Heart Hospital of Arkansas. Next Monday afternoon, June 23, he will have open heart surgery and multiple bypasses. Mildred and Manolo are in the States for their "swearing in" as American citizens. They had just completed a ministry swing throughout the South where dozens of Hispanics came to Christ and many believers strengthened in their faith.Pray for a miraculous healing from above.

My trip to Cuba was filled with significant activity for His Kingdom. Thank you for praying. Entrance was more interesting than usual. Three officials questioned me for over an hour and finally allowed me to enter their country. Our heavenly Father stills holds the king's heart in His hand (Prov. 21:2)

Tammy's condition has stabilized. After recieving a pacemaker for her heart (there's already one in her stomach) the tumor, which is located close to her brain stem and a main artery, will be treated with radiation. Tammy says that her Heavenly Father is more precious to her every day.We count on your intercession before His Throne!
In His Grip,
Bob

Then in a later email, he had this to say:

Cuba... What a beautiful, yet dark, dark place. It constantly amazes me what the Cuban church can accomplish with so little resources and so many obstacles. Pray for Yaima, Yuyo, Yanelis and Gildita. Young people who have been waiting over 16 months for a visa from Guatemala in order to prepare themselves for ministry in their homeland.
Your fellow warrior for Christ,
Bob

Please add Ann and Bob to your prayer list. They are both professors in a large Bible college in Guatemala. As you can see from his email, their ministry extends well beyond the borders of Guatemala. Many lives are being touched and won for Christ!

2 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

I will include them in my prayers now. My prayer list grows and grows. Some nights I fall asleep before I finish! I know though that God knows what's in my heart.

Hugs!
Kat

Susan said...

I am so thankful for missionaries and always eager to pray on their behalf.
Susan