Friday, February 02, 2007

Peaceful Sleep

"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Have you ever wondered about the human body's need for sleep? It has always amazed me when I think how God has designed us to literally “turn off” like a machine for eight hours each night. Sleep is something our bodies need to do; it is not an option. Many of the body's major organs and regulatory systems continue to work during sleep. Some parts of the brain actually increase their activity dramatically, and the body produces more of certain hormones.

Unfortunately, this precious, needed sleep is robbed many times by the uncertainties of homeschooling, illness, life in general. Anxious thoughts like “Will my children turn out OK if I homeschool?”, “How can I teach a subject I don’t even know?”, or “How will we pay the bills if I homeschool?” can torment us and keep us awake. Add household chores and responsibilities to this list of worries, and it’s no wonder we stay up late at night trying to do it all. I used to scrub floors at at all hours of the night! Those of you who know me now, understand that I am up at many strange hours of the night due to pain and restlessness, not trying to "do it all"! *smile*

Homeschooling mom, if you are struggling with these worries and working until you are exhausted, allow me to introduce to you a special verse - a wonderful promise of God.
Psalms 127:2 – “It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.” Isn't that precious to you? We don't need to worry and eat the bread of sorrows! God only has so much for you to do each day, and what is left undone is not important! To accomplish His perfect will for each day, we need to pray for wisdom. This is all that He asks of me and you! His provision to meet our unfinished tasks may come by sending extra help, inspiring us to organize a different way, or miraculously providing to meet whatever need we have. This verse and realization of it can change your life! Won't it be nice to lay your head on the pillow each night and not worry about the basket of laundry waiting to be folded or the lesson plans for tomorrow’s schoolwork?

When was the last time you had a good night’s sleep? (This question doesn't apply to me right now or anyone else reading this who experiences chronic pain! *giggle,giggle*) I remember as a young homeschooling mom, struggling with trying to do more than God intended. I would also lend myself to worry. God desires us to rest in Him and find the peaceful sleep of trusting Him. “Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.” (Matthew 6:34a)

Dear Heavenly Father,

Forgive me for not getting the rest I need. Help me to trust You with my priorities. Also, as I homeschool my child(ren), let me trust in You, that I may accomplish what You intend for me to do each day. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

I heard once
"If you worry, you are telling God that He is not able to take care of your problems/issues!!"

Makes one pause to thinnk......

Rita Loca said...

Prayer changes things. Worry is such a waste of time and energy! Great blog!

Sis. Julie said...

Amen!! I used to worry about everything and I did lose sleep many times over things...but I finally realized that worry doesn't change situations. It only kills the body. Worry is what is killing alot of people. Worry affects our bodies in more ways than we even realize. That verse is a wonderful promise of God. But then there are many wonderful promises that He gives us.