Tuesday, July 17, 2007

LEARNING PERSONALITY STYLES

I just read a great article which gives you a brief overview of recognizing your children's different personalities and learning styles in a fresh new way.
It was posted on Sunday, July 1, 2007 by Just Call Me Jamin! She is one of my favorite homeschool mom bloggers. Click here to read the entire article and see her photos!

(FOLLOWING ARTICLE POSTED BY: Just Call Me Jamin!)

This weekend I was blessed to hear a really awesome speaker on the topic of Learning/Personality Styles. Although I have read a bit on this topic before this info was presented in a new way I had not yet come across. Here is a little of what I learned....

There are 4 basic personality styles. Here is a brief overview of each style.
2 are outgoing:

1. My Way...This is the dominate group. These folks want to know what we are doing? They want change... They are direct, demanding, decisive, determined, doers, independent & competitive. (This group needs to work on knowing others can be right.)

2 The Fun Way!..This is the inspirational group. These folks want to know who's doing it. They need no details. They are friendly, compassionate, carefree, talkative, outgoing, personable, and enthusiastic. (This group needs to work on listening!) (Huh, I wonder what group I am in! LOL)

2 are reserved:

3. The Easy Way...This is the steady group. These folks want to know if it really has to be done! They want no change. They are calm, dependable, easy going, trustworthy, efficient, practical, and steadfast. (This group needs to work on saying no.)

4. The Right Way...This is the cautious group. These folks want to know how it is gong to be done. They want all the details. They are analytical, sensitive, perfectionists, idealistic, loyal, orderly & ask a lot of questions. (This group needs to work on knowing others can be right too.)

Now the interesting thing about this lecture was that the speaker had us all get up and sit together in a group with the style we felt we best fit in. It was soooo interesting to see people immediately know which group they belonged in! Of course we folks in the fun group had the most FUN!

The point is it can be very helpful to know our personality style as well as our kids. One thing that occurred to me is that as fun as I can be...I actually can get on my kids nerves sometimes! Don't get me wrong for the most part they love their kooky Mom. However, there are times, especially with my 2 boys (Who have some "My Way" tendencies with strong "Fun Way" overtones.) that they just wish Mom would get to the point and stop singing and acting crazy! LOL I think it will be very helpful for me to think about their personality styles more and then I can focus a little more on the 7 intelligences to customize their learning to them.

What are the 7 Intelligences you ask?

1. Verbal Linguistic - How we communicate with others.

2. Logical Mathematical - math and logic skills

3. Visual Spatial - How we see things. (Can your child tell when it is safe to cross the street or will they stop if there is a car 5 blocks away?)

4. Body Kinisetic - Movers and shakers! Those who learn by moving!!!

5. Music/Rhythmic - The musically inclined.

6. Interpersonal - How we relate to someone else.

7. Intrapersonal - How we feel about ourselves. (This is the one we have some control over as parents. So praise, praise , praise!)

As I look at these 7 things I can immediately see strengths and weaknesses for each of my children. Knowing what the learning styles are allows me to try and teach to my children’s natural intelligences.

On top of all this there are 4 basic senses used in learning...

1. Visual

2. Auditory

3. Kinesetic (Big motions!)

4. Tactile (Fine motor skills.)

Traditional classrooms teaching styles favor auditory. (I will tell it to you and you will learn it.) However the beauty of homeschooling is we can teach to ALL styles! Not only that, since we generally have a small number of students we can customize our teaching style to fit our children’s learning style!

This was exciting to hear! It gave me a lot to think about! One thing it reminded me of is that there is NOT a right and a wrong way to learn. There is also not a right and wrong way to teach! The key is to find the right teaching style for the right learning style. We need to allow our students to learn the way they need to! Our job as teachers are to figure out the way they learn and then customize our teaching to their style. WOW!

BTW, this lecture was given by Dan Sinclair, President of Math-U-See California and Regional Representative of Math-U-See and JoyceHerzog.com, Inc.
Here are the resources for further reading Mr. Sinclair recommended:
Learning In Spite of Labels, Choosing and Using Curriculum, Timeless Teaching Tips & Luke's Lists - Joyce Herzog
Get Ready - Robert Rohm PhD
Why Gender Matters - Dr. Leonard Sax
These are all going on my reading wish list!

Just Call Me Jamin!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A personal note from Pam:

I'm a Right Way, Interpersonal, Visual learner!!!

12 comments:

Susan said...

What an interesting article. Thanks for sharing it. I love understanding and analysising our various God given traits and knowing and understanding myself and others better,
Susan

Anonymous said...

WOW, Pam....your blog is so informative. I have heard most of these things, but love to relearn and refine skills for the next year.

You are a wealth of knowlege and help for homeschoolers!!

Anonymous said...

I left you something on my site

Liz said...

thanks Pam, I'm going to print this!!

Liz

Rita Loca said...

I am a right way, verbal linguistic, visual!

Mishel said...

This was very interesting to read and to figure out where my children fit (and me too!). I remember early on in our homeschool journey, I read about different "learning" styles and was just *sure* Ashleigh (Zach was too little at the time) would love to do unit studies. Well, it was ME who loved unit studies--not Ashleigh. She enjoyed doing projects, but not that much! : )

Rita Loca said...

mishel, that reminds me of two of my kids who asked me to stop trying to make school fun. School doesn't have to be fun, it just has to be done!

Unknown said...

Rita, I had you pegged for an auditory learner!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE this topic!!! I haven't figured out what type of learners each of my older four are, but they are all a completely different blend, I know that!!

I am almost like you, I am definitely "Right Way" and "Visual," but I am probably a mix, mostly Logical Mathematical and some Verbal Linguistic. I don't know what area this would fall under, but even though I am visual, I am the most directionally challenged person I know. My kids have been helping me find my way around town since they were in preschool, and I always have to ask the nurse how to get BACK to the waiting room after a doctor's appointment. I am definitely missing some neural connections in that area!!! =)

Rita Loca said...

Pam, I would rather read and study on my own then sit and listen to someone!! Maybe because I can do that at home in my PJ's?!?!
See you soon...

Anonymous said...

Instructive and enlightening info. I think I'm Right Way, Intrapersonal, and Visual.

groovyoldlady said...

COOL!

I am, without a doubt, FUNWAY-Sanguine-Otter, depending on which system you're using.

I'm a visual learner with musical/verbal/linguistic tendencies.

My kids? The to at home are a FUNWAY, kinesthetic and a RightWay, musical (very).