Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I spent a YEAR there ONE day!

That's how I felt Saturday night when I left the hospital where dad's surgery was! The day had been so long!! We arrived at 5:30 a.m., but didn't leave for home until sixteen hours later! Dad's surgery was pushed back from 10a.m. Another case came up with the surgeon, so dad didn't get taken to pre-op until 1:30 p.m. After the surgery, dad had a few complications in recovery. Finally after four hours, we were allowed allowed to go back and see him. We knew right away he was in pain! After the usual kiss to his forehead and "Hey, did you have a good nap?", his first words were directed at mom, "Did you get that prescription for pain medication filled?" Dad is a real trooper and usually deals with his pain quietly. After his first open heart surgery, he only took his pain meds for two days after coming home. He did even better after last year's open heart surgery. He didn't take any pain meds after leaving the hospital. So we knew he was in intense pain for that question to be blurted out so quickly!

After a short chat the nurse came over to explain that after the surgery, dad's sugar spiked to 400 and his blood pressure was irregular. They were giving him insulin. He also looked very pasty. She waited until he stabilized and got some color back before calling us to see him in recovery.

We returned to the waiting room and about 2 hours later, we were told dad was in his room. We went in to see him at 8:45 p.m. and stayed for about ten minutes. Dad pointed to the clock on the wall and said, "It has been twenty-four hours since I've eaten.!" Nurse said that some chicken broth was on it's way. His sugar level was at 351 so another shot of insulin was administered. Agustin and I then left. Since dad was in a private room with a recliner which made into a bed, mom stayed with dad through the night. Agustin went back the next day with some supplies for them. There's a funny story about that I'll share later. I think it will make you chuckle!

Best part, Dad came home today! (Monday) He is quite sore and can't rest well. He tried lying in bed but just couldn't get comfortable. It appears he will have to lean back in his recliner and try to get some zzzz's there until some healing takes place.

Thanks so much for your prayers and comments. God was faithful and there guiding the surgeon's hands. He had dad in the palm of His hand the entire time. You all are such an inspiration to me!

Since we were sequestered in the room with dad waiting for the surgeon for seven hours, we had a wonderful family time of fellowship and memories. We spent a lot of time talking about all of our past pets from our childhoods. I'll post more tomorrow when I'm awake!

10 comments:

MightyMom said...

good news and God Bless.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

THANK YOU for updating. I am privileged to have helped you guys with prayer. :]

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Y'all hang in there...

Paula said...

Rejoicing with you that the surgery went well. Praying for your dad's recovery. :)

Anonymous said...

We have been praying for U. Jack and I know prayers are answered. Please Keep his sister(your Aunt Donna )in your prayers, she is going through a health issue right now and not doing well.

candy said...

will continue to keep your dad in prayer!

big hugs!

Anonymous said...

Pam, thank you for the update on Uncle Jack...I'm so relieved to know he's on the mend. I'll continue to keep him in my prayers for a comfortable recuperation. Keep your chin up too Sweetie, things will get better! Love you!!

Justabeachkat said...

I'm so glad all went well with his surgery. I pray his recovery is quick.

Hugs!
Kat

Brenda said...

So glad to hear about your dad, I have been praying for him over.

I am a friend of Ritas :)

Kelly said...

I'm so sorry that I've been so busy that I missed these posts, but you can be assured that I will help to pray for your dad's recovery.