Tuesday, February 01, 2011

DON'T TRY THESE AT HOME

Tis the season of colds and flu-bugs! I chuckled when I read the following list of things that folks used to think would help cure ya'! (List taken from Sunday's PARADE insert.)

DON'T TRY THESE AT HOME

1) Smearing goose grease on your chest and wrapping it with flannel

2) Rubbing the soles of your feet with tallow and turpentine, and holding them against a wood stove

3) Getting passed three times under a horse's belly

4) Having a fish skin tied to your feet

5) Cupping, followed by blood-letting
{I've seen this done to my husband in Mexico. The *cupper* will rub the *cuppee* with alcohol. Then light a match near it, rush a cup over that area. The cup sucks the skin up into it. Supposedly this cleanses the *cuppee* of toxins. This is done all over the *cuppee's* body. Fun to watch but I never participated as a *cuppee* because the *cupper* seemed to enjoy it too much!}

6) Going to sleep wearing a pair of cold, wet socks with a pair of thick, dry socks on top of them

7) Stuffing your nostrils with cut garlic cloves
*I've heard my dad talk of similar mountain cures. For instance, his mother would rub mustard on his chest and tie garlic around his neck when he was sick. Sometimes she would force him to eat an onion sandwich.*

8) Pressing a warm, peeled hard-boiled egg to your forehead

9) Eating snakeskin

OK, NOW LEAVE THE # OF YOUR FAVORITE CURE IN MY COMMENT SECTION.

I think my fave is #8!!!

5 comments:

Rosilind Jukic said...

Oh these are funny! #2 is my fave! I could just see the soles of someones feet catching fire. Isn't it funny what people used to think were cures? (ummm....scary actually!).

Deborah said...

I used to eat onion and mustard sandwiches with my mom....I must have been a strange child....but I don't remember being sick much!
I know many people who eat garlic to ward off colds....they stink, so they keep people away...maybe that's how the garlic works.:0)

Unknown said...

Deb, your comment made me realize that I should have mentioned that I really do believe in some of these old wive's tales. I try to eat lots of garlic for health reasons and I take many herbal supplements for health purposes as well. I think many of our *kin* knew what they were doing!

Rosilind Jukic said...

Hey, just thought I'd let you know that I gave you a shout-out on my blog....with a recipe for my cure that really works. :)

MightyMom said...

haha I think I'll just stay out of this conversation!!! ;-)