Sunday, January 06, 2008

Have A Blessed Lord's Day

I wanted to grab a minute to wish y'all a sweet day in the Lord tomorrow. I'm looking forward to being in His house with friends and family! My friend Amber will be singing a solo, therefore I'm especially excited. That girl has such a God given talent and the sweetest thing about it is, she desires to use it for His glory!! She's home from Pensacola Christian College on her Christmas break. I think she flies back in a couple of weeks.

We did get our family Christmas tree and outside lights down and put away today. I've been on my feet all day doing so many random things. It takes me forever to "undress" my tree due to my particular way of catregorizing the ornaments! I always feel a little melancholy as I take down our family tree, as I know it is the last of our decoratons to come down until next Christmas season. Shane's bedroom tree was taken down last week as we rearranged his room and deep cleaned it.

I LOVE Christmas!!

Today however, is a huge celebration in the Hispanic regions. It's "King's Day"! The children set their shoes out on the night of Jan. 5th each year. Then awaken on the 6th to find gifts in thier shoes! It's a re-enactment of sorts of the Kings (Wisemen's) visit to the Christ Child, to whom they gave gifts! Most latino children are more excited for Jan. 6th than they are for Dec. 25th! It's a big cultural thing.

Speaking of cultural things! Ginger ( A fellow blogger listed on my side bar as 'Just A Thought') told me she tried making tamales for Christmas! She is a blond, blue eyed, Dutch gal living in Michigan! Her daughter is married to a Mexican gentleman, and Ginger found herself out in Texas visiting them for the holidays. Well, my first thought was, "I wonder if you knew what you were getting into girl! Making Tamales is "mucho trabajo"!!! (much work) Ginger did decide to stick to her more traditional style of cooking after her tamale experience.She said she just kept trying to picture me cooking theMexican dishes I have conquered so far! Ginger, I'm so happy I inspired you girlfriend!

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Haha...I hate taking the Christmas Tree down cause it's so much work! :P

Man, other cultures seem to have a lot more holidays & celebrations. O.o I mean...like Australia & New Zealand with Boxing Day...what IS that anyways?

HAHA Tamales are like one of the most time-consuming things to make! But ohhhh man are they good. I still remember the first tamale I had at your house. OH MAN I was hooked from the first! lol

Rita Loca said...

Happy dia de los reyes!!! Tamales sound great about now...

Anonymous said...

Hello!!

Must I tell you my tree is still up because I hate to take it down--Christmas is my favorite, too!!!

And yes, there is the matter of packing it all up again......

Rebecca said...

Happy 3 Kings day!

Lyndy said...

I learn so many new things visiting your blog. I had never heard of Kings Day before. How interesting. Glad you got your Christmas stuff taken care of, as I know that is always a chore. Somehow they are not as much fun taking down and going up.

groovyoldlady said...

My tree is down, I fell off a ladder taking down one of four at church, and now I have to help my Mom dismantle hers.

I feel like I have a sign on my back that says, "Need a tree down? Call Groovy!"

I love to EAT tamales, though I can't get them up here. When I lived in S. Texas, they were a staple - our Mexican maid served them at least once a week. Mmmmmmmmm.

Teresa Maynard said...

Hey Pammie, I didn't have to take my Christmas tree down because I didn't put one up. I know it sounds "Scroogie" but we actually went other places and wasn't home all that much so I just didn't do it. WOW! You did have a productive day--perfect title.